Layers of Summer - A Monochromatic Still Life Painting

 

One of my students brought me a purple Mason jar and asked me to use it in a still life painting. I had never seen a purple mason jar before and I don’t work in purple very often so it was intriguing for me to use it. My first thought was to look at the complimentary color of yellow on the color wheel to set up the still life. So I thought about yellow pears but it did not seem delicate enough. So in order to keep the transparent sense of glass I decided to stay with a monochromatic choice and put some plums along with the jar. Then the addition of a white cloth or doily with the jar would help the purple colors to really stand out and create a crisp summer feeling to the painting. (And notice that the lace has summer daisies embroidered into it…wink.) Layering the colors creates depth in the still life elements. There are several wonderful cool colors used; blues, red violet, magenta, and dioxazine purple.

Summer is such a joyful time and this painting is a reminder of the lightheartedness of the season. 

:) Tracy

Comments

Popular Posts